Saturday, July 4, 2009

Kniddelen... Mehlknepp..

The last weeks, and months, have seen me crazy and busy, once more, so cooking was reduced, documentation was little, and writing about food was boiled down to nothing. Now I am sitting, after a cheesy dinner, in my hotel room in Zuerich, enjoying the end of my first day of real VACATION and finally have the time and pleasure to continue what got started by a dinner my parents once had.


A few months ago I promised myself to cook Lea Linster's luxembourgish kniddelen, that are just slightly different from the "Mehlknoedel" of my home of Saarland. And I did cook them!
Here is the procedure step by step as a picture book -

Cut bread into cubes, mix with flour, add vegetable broth and eggs to form a dough.




Form dumplings from the dough and boil them until they do not drow in the water any longer but swim to the top.
Then make a sauce from fried bacon and milk, and add to the dumplings.
As you can see, it is a farily simple dish, as many traditional meals, making the best out of a few ingredients, cheap for not too well to do locals, to feed a family with the little one always has in store..

The wonderful thing about these Knoedel/Kniddelen/Knepp is that they really taste like home to me - a rare thing to find in a cookbook, but maybe not if that cookbook was written by one of the best chefs out there - thank you, Lea Linster, for sharing this little gem!

No comments:

 
Blog Flux Local - Tennessee Add to Technorati Favorites Bloglisting.net - The internets fastest growing blog directory blogarama.com